Simula 5 is 3D printable, and feature rich. It's easy to make, with an impressive list of attributes:
- Based on the Arduino Mega 2560, Simula 5 works perfectly with the Arduino IDE.
- 2 DC motors with ultra-high resolution rotary encoders (1600 clicks per revolution) keeps Simula 5 aware of distance traveled.
- The high quality Inertial Measurement Unit (Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer) keeps track of 3 crucial measurements in real time: compass direction, gravity/inertia measurement, and rotational measurement.
- 5 Infrared perimeter detectors keep Simula aware of what is going on in 5 directions at once, with a range of 10cm to 1.5 meters.
- 1 ultrasonic range sensor, or "ping" sensor, gives Simula awareness of transparent obstacles, or those invisible to IR.
- Simula can be expanded wirelessly in just the manner you want using XBee antennas.